Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Utah reservist honors Boston bombing victims at SLC Marathon

419th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

4/24/2013 - HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah -- Senior Master Sgt. Timothy Gill, 419th Operations Group, honored victims of the Boston Marathon bombing at the Salt Lake City Marathon April 20 by carrying a large American flag for the duration of the race.

The Air Force Reservist said the marathon was a tough race, both physically and emotionally.

"It was about 50 degrees, with constant rain and hail. I ran the whole 26.2 miles carrying a five-foot American flag, which got very heavy in the rain. It seemed much lighter, however, when the police doing traffic control stopped the cars for me to pass, then turned around, and saluted my flag as I passed. I also ran four miles later in the race with an amputee. The pain in my legs and shoulders was of no concern, as no matter how much pain I experienced, it is nothing compared to what the people in Boston who are recovering in the hospital are enduring. Bystanders yelled, 'USA, USA, USA' as I passed. There was also a very elderly veteran from World War II, who gingerly rose from his chair, came to the position of attention, and rendered a proud salute. I am glad that it was raining, as I wept many times. It is a race that I will never forget."

No comments: